30 Mar In the Kitchen: Hemp Hearts & Coconut Squares
We are all rushing out the doors these days and skipping out on the most important meal…Breakfast! It is important to eat something healthy and nutritional in the morning to help control our appetite throughout the day, to give our brain fuel so that we can think clearly, and to give our body energy so that we don’t crash and have blood sugar melt downs before lunchtime. Here is a quick and easy recipe for tasty bars. These are great to grab on the run in the morning or to snack on in between meals. Feel free to make them your own by adding your favorite ingredients…I found this recipe on the HEMP HEARTS bag at Whole Foods.
Hemp Hearts & Coconut Squares
Makes 16 squares
1 1/1 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup almond butter
1/3 cup organic maple syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup Hemp Hearts (can be purchased at Whole Foods)
1/4 cup rasins
1/4 cup dark chocolate chip
1 tbsp. chia seeds (I added this to the recipe)
1. Toast coconut on a pan by baking in the oven at 325 degrees F for 5-10 minutes or until thoroughly browned.
2. In a medium bowl, combine all other ingredients and then add the toasted coconut.
3. Press mixture into lined 8×8 baking pan and freeze for at least three hours or until set.
4. Once your squares have set, lift them from your pan and onto your cutting board.
5. Cut into roughly 16 squares.
*Can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for 4 days.